Thursday, February 3, 2011

Vibram FiveFingers

            While I was walking to class the other day, I passed a male on the side walk and happened to glance down at his feet. Whatever it was that he was wearing had definitely caught my eye because I caught myself completely turning around again after I had passed him to take another look. I thought to myself, “What are those things!
            At first, I had thought that they were water shoes, but here it is the beginning of February, and I just thought what would somebody be doing, walking around in 30 degree weather, wearing water shoes? It simply didn’t add up; therefore, I did some research. It turns out that these so called “water shoes” that I had thought I was seeing, are actually TOE SHOES, actually called Vibram FiveFingers.
            These toe shoes are actually extremely dynamic; they are comparable to walking around barefoot because they are so light and airy, but offer many great benefits (which is a good thing, because I believe walking around barefoot is quite painful). The Vibram FiveFingers website explains that there are five reasons for wearing these shoes. The reasons (received from the website) are listed below:

1. Strengthens Muscles in the Feet and Lower LegsWearing Vibram FiveFingers will stimulate and strengthen muscles in the feet and lower legs, improving general foot health and reducing the risk of injury.

2. Improves Range of Motion in Ankles, Feet and ToesNo longer 'cast' in a shoe, the foot and toes move more naturally.

3. Stimulates Neural Function Important to Balance and AgilityWhen wearing Vibram FiveFingers, thousands of neurological receptors in the feet send valuable information to the brain, improving balance and agility.

4. Eliminate Heel Lift to Align the Spine and Improve PostureBy lowering the heel, your bodyweight becomes evenly distributed across the footbed, promoting proper posture and spinal alignment.

5. Allow the Foot and Body to Move NaturallyWhich just FEELS GOOD.

Below is a picture of the Classic Vibram FiveFingers taken from Google Images (you can see where I was confused into thinking they were water shoes).




No comments:

Post a Comment