Monday, January 24, 2011

The First Sneaker

According to www.factmonster.com, in 1892, the U.S. Rubber Company created a rubber sneaker with a canvas top; these were the first sneakers ever. The very first sneakers were called “Keds.” Before these sneakers were created, the only shoes that were comparable were called the “plimsolls,” but they did not even have a designed right or left foot.

·      They came to be called “sneakers” because they were so very quiet, an individual could sneak up on a person while wearing them (factmonster.com).

It is very interesting that the very first sneaker was named “Keds,” and also that they have managed to still be around in existence today. Keds seemed to be a big hit when I was in grade school, which was from about 1994 to about 1999. Back in the day, I only remember seeing Keds in plain colors, and they were very reasonably priced.
Today, it is amazing to me that Keds have been able to make their way around yet again. From being the first sneaker ever created, to still being in existence, all the while being popular is remarkable. They are now a fashion statement, but they have made some changes, however, to the original “Keds.” The Keds now are available in almost any color you can think of, plus designs. I actually just bought myself a pair of Keds the other day, for quite a bit more than I remember paying for them in 1995. However, they are a very simple, casual shoe, and they go great with just about everything.

I received my pair of grey/green Keds from karmaloop.com for $35.00




No comments:

Post a Comment